[postgis-users] Cursor names in a self-nested function

Kidd, David M d.kidd at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Aug 18 05:43:32 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am trying to write a function that contains a cursor and iteratively calls itself.

It is along the lines of,

CREATE FUNCTON test(id integer) RETURNS TEXT AS
$BODY$
DECLARE
  mycursor CURSOR FOR SELECT * FROM myfunction(id);
  newid INTEGER;
  out = TEXT;
BEGIN
  out := '';
  OPEN mycursor;
  LOOP
    FETCH my_cursor INTO newid;
    out := out || test (newid);
  END LOOP;
  RETURN out;
END;
 $BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE

This returns an ERROR stating that "mycursor" is already in use.

I understand this occurs because cursor names must be unique across, as well as within, functions.

So, my question is whether there is a way I can dynamically declare a cursor name, for example by appending a incremental number or guid to make the name unique?
Just trying to concatenate two passed arguments in the DECLARE statement unsurprisingly fails.

Any other solutions are of cause welcome.

Many thanks,

 - David

David M. Kidd

Research Associate