[postgis-users] Raster Points in Polygon (was Re: PostGIS Raster for Met Data)

Michael Akinde michael.akinde at met.no
Thu Aug 25 16:46:05 PDT 2011

Hi,

Sounds interesting. Is your code online anywhere?

All of our source code is GPL and available at https://github.com/wdb. WDB is the backend database server for yr.no, Norway's largest weather site with ~3M visitors a week. It's heavily optimized for point retrieval from grids - which it does very effectively (an average yr.no weather page retrieves approximately 3000 points in <0.2s). We also recently implemented a NetCDF-Java interface to the database, to facilitate easy link up with WMS services (at least in theory).

Our plan now is to extend and optimize the functionality for polygon retrieval and point data, since the system is getting leveraged for a variety of different types of projects.

I don't think we'll be moving our data into PostGIS rasters (our experiments so far haven't shown any encouraging results performance-wise - perhaps not surprising, given that our current algorithms is essentially C code working on flat-files); but I hope that we can leverage the algorithms discussed in the thread to do the geo-spatial calculations for the more nasty queries using PostGIS. Pierre was kind enough to demonstrate that it can be done fairly easily - now I just have to figure out how to do it efficiently enough that our users will be happy.

st_intersect(raster, raster) sounds very interesting, but what would be the result from the function?

Regards,

Michael A.