[postgis-users] Raster Points in Polygon (was Re: PostGIS Raster for Met Data)

Bborie Park bkpark at ucdavis.edu
Thu Aug 25 17:17:14 PDT 2011

Hey Michael,

All the code I'm currently writing is for inclusion in the PostGIS
Raster project.

Specialized C programs running against flat files will almost always be
faster than PostGIS Raster.  But, if PostGIS Raster can return an answer
in a reasonable time frame (<= 10 seconds ideally), my users will be happy.

Currently, my testing of a polygon filter against a daily coverage
limited by a half month takes ~30 seconds.  But, this is because of the
inefficiencies in ST_Intersection.

If you have any glaring performance inefficiencies, please do let us
know so that we see if some work could be done to speed things up.

-bborie

--
Bborie Park
Programmer