[postgis-users] PostGIS Raster efficient enough to get height given coords from a large DEM?

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 08:15:19 PST 2011

In a server side program I'd like to get the height given a 2D lat/lon
coordinate.

The area covered is smaller than Europe with a resolution of at least
25m. We'll take ASTER or SRTM as DEM/DTM data.

I know there are webservices like geonames' Elevation API (e.g.
http://api.geonames.org/astergdem?lat=50.01&lng=10.2&username=demo ).
But I'd like to know if this is feasible using PostgreSQL.

Is PostGIS Raster efficient enough to process and query such an amount of data?
Any experiences?

Stefan