[postgis-users] Preparing for Topology - St_CreateTopoGeo

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Dec 9 02:53:06 PST 2011

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 11:59:14PM -0500, Chris English wrote:

> On error, a problematic point is indicated, but it refers to the indexbeing developed by splitting and doesn't refer to the original, offending row oidof the source file being processed to help tracing.

The function doesn't know about the input rowid as it gets the combined
collection of all rows. Indicating the problematic point should be enough
for you to select all components in the source table which overlap that
point. An index doesn't help much. If that's all you get please file a
a bug to request a more useful error.

> Attached a file which may or may not be of interest, two smallishshape files that successfully became topologies independently,but failed when I attempted to combine them.  One multi-ploygon,one linestring.

Most likely the linestrings are close to but not exactly the same as the
polygon boundary. Keep collecting both, but close to the offending point
(if known, see above).

--strk;