[postgis-users] Tigerdata for AZ, AS and VI

Michael Papet mpapet at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 22:00:12 PST 2011

> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 19:04:38 -0600
> From: "Ravi ada" <raviada at dobeyond.com>
> Subject: Re: [postgis-users] Tigerdata for AZ, AS and VI
> To: "'PostGIS Users Discussion'"
>     <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net>
>
> Thank you Steve. I downloaded AZ files again and loaded
> fine but others are
> still the same problem. According to your explanation that
> should be ok.
>
> I got the postgis database loaded for all states now. I
> have about 3 mil
> addresses, may not all be normalized, which I am trying to
> batch geocode
> them. I am using the example mentioned in this link.
> http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/181-pgscript_intro.html
>
> I am even using 100 as a batch, my update query is too
> slow. Its updating at
> 1500 per hour. That's too slow, I will never be able to
> finish them.
>
> I have 16GB RAM, and 7200 rpm disk partitioned to hold the
> postgres table
> spaces. I am not sure what makes it run faster. Anybody has
> done so many
> addresses before? What makes the performance go faster? I
> am attaching the
> query and query plan here. www.pastie.org/3008194
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Ravi Ada

Is the computer a desktop configuration or a real server?
Is the database tables on their own disk?
What's the swap config?  What's memory consumption like?
Debian has an application to make modifying the postgresql config a whole lot easier.  Maybe your distro does too?
I use perl to do the geocoding queries and write results to file. I use another script to do the inserts. I found this faster than doing it all in PostgreSQL's scripting. My employer's dual single-core DL380 geocodes about 15000 addresses an hour.
This may be a dumb question, but have the indexes been rebuilt on the tables recently?

I hope that helps.
mpapet