[postgis-users] Convert from character to timestamptz

Mathieu Basille basille at ase-research.org
Sun Dec 18 19:56:42 PST 2011

Le 01/10/2011 03:02, Sandro Santilli a écrit :

>>> See if exporting LANG=C helps there.
>>
>> Did you mean at the command line or in the SQL query window? I tried
>> both with no success.
>> I also tried to launch pgAdmin with 'LC_ALL=C pgadmin3', but error
>> messages were still in French. What's weird is that the whole
>> software runs in English!
>
> You probably need that variable to be in the backend environment, as
> that's where the messages originate from. But a user-driven language
> support would make much more sense so maybe it _is_ possible to do,
> seek the web about it, there might be a way to signal the desired
> language from the frontend to the backend (some set variable thing)
> and if not you could file a feature request for pgsql hackers :)

For the record (after a long silence): I managed to get error messages in
English after doing the following (under Debian Wheezy):

1) edit the postgresql.conf

# nano /etc/postgresql/8.4/main/postgresql.conf

Look at the 'CLIENT CONNECTION DEFAULTS' section, 'Locale and Formatting'
subsection, and change the 'lc_messages' variable:

lc_messages = 'en_US.UTF-8'

2) restart the PostgreSQL server:

service postgresql restart

Now messages are in English. Example:

$ psql -h localhost -d geodb -U caribou -q -c "blabla"
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "blabla"
LIGNE 1 : blabla
          ^

All the best,
Mathieu.

>> ALTER TABLE test
>>     ALTER COLUMN date TYPE timestamptz
>>     USING date::timestamptz;
>>
>> I have now date as a 'timestamptz'!
>
> Great !
>
> --strk;
>
>   ()   Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer
>   /\   http://strk.keybit.net/services.html

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, Post-Doc

~$ locate
Laboratoire d'Écologie Comportementale et de Conservation de la Faune
+ Centre d'Étude de la Forêt
Département de Biologie
Université Laval, Québec

~$ info
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
``If you can't win by reason, go for volume.''
Calvin, by Bill Watterson.