[postgis-users] raster output

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue Dec 20 15:13:26 PST 2011

Stephen,

There are couple of ways to view raster data.

1) QGIS has a plug-in for viewing raster which as I recall is on 1.7.  QGIS
users can probably fill you in on the details of that.
2) UMN Mapserver can also load PostGIS raster detailed here:
http://www.postgis.org/documentation/manual-svn/RT_FAQ.html#id3031186

To be honest I haven't tried Mapserver in a couple of months with raster, so
haven't confirmed all the changes we've done haven't broken it or if the
syntax has changed.

3) You can use gdal_translate (compiled with PostgreSQL support) to output a
postgis raster query.

4) And my favorite which is the one I use for documenting the PostGIS user
docs like for example this picture is  to output it to a file or memory
stream using your favorite language

http://www.postgis.org/documentation/manual-svn/RT_ST_Rescale.html

An example of the ad hoc tool I built is here
http://www.bostongis.com/blog/index.php?/archives/174-Minimalist-Web-based-A
SP.NET-PostGIS-2.0-Spatial-GeometryRaster-Viewer.html  (code is downloadable
and free to use if you want ot play with it)

It's a pretty short script that utilizes the raster output functions to
output the query results to a browser response stream

http://www.postgis.org/documentation/manual-svn/RT_reference.html#Raster_Out
puts

The approach is ideal if you need tight integration with your own custom
app.  It will work just as well with any language or report write capable of
consuming file streams or a memory stream of a file e.g (Java using plain
vanilall JDBC driver, .NET both desktop and web, PHP, Perl etc.)

Thanks,
Regina
http://www.postgis.us