[postgis-users] Using PostGIS in commercial application

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Tue Dec 27 14:15:27 PST 2011

I would say that, by bundling everything into one installer, you're
beginning to brush up against the GPL's derived product language,

"You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole
or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part
thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties
under the terms of this License."

Since you are distributing a work that contains a GPL component. The
simple expedient would be to distribute two installers, one for the
database (and anything else you don't mind being covered by the GPL),
and one for your application.

Yours,

Paul