[postgis-users] Problem with Raster (2nd attempt)

Darrel Maddy darrel.maddy at newcastle.ac.uk
Thu Dec 29 11:42:31 PST 2011

Dear all,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere  but I am new to PostGIS and need to resolve this, hopefully simple issue.

I am trying to get raster images into PostGIS (this is version 2 sitting on top of Postgres 9.1 under windows).

I run the command:

C:\tmp>raster2pgsql -I -C -r *.tif -F public.blockedtif  >blocktif.sql

Followed by:

C:\tmp>psql -U postgres -d Testing -f blocktif.sql

This writes the table (blockedtif) into the public schema of Testing and there is a rast column (although it appears empty, but the table size says otherwise - so I am assuming is normal?).

When I issue the command:

C:\tmp> gdalinfo "PG:host=localhost port 5432 dbname=Testing user=postgres password=******* schema=public table=blockedtif"

I keep getting the error ERROR 1: Sorry, but table blockedtif doesn't seem to have regular blocking arrangement.....

As I am specifying the Constraint -r (which can be confirmed in the dbase  as enforce_regular_blocking_rast) I do not understand this error. I have tried this with the Kauai.bill file used in the postgis book with the same error.

I am not entirely certain what to do next as I need to be able to export the rasters from the dbase as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If I have been an idiot (entirely likely) do not be afraid to tell me - I have broad shoulders!

Many Thanks

Darrel