[postgis-users] defending postgresql - postgis.

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue Feb 1 14:52:46 PST 2011

OpenStreetMap also runs on PostgreSQL now too (had switched from MySQL),
though I don't think they run on PostGIS.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/PostgreSQL

Of course PostGIS  enjoys preferential treatment as far as if you want to
load OpenStreetMap data into it.  I don't think the tools for other
databases compares.

Let's not forget OpenStreetMap is being picked up by other providers
http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsofts-Bing-Maps-ties-into-the-open-sour
ce-OpenStreetMap-community/1280872209

Of course the other big one: Skype which I think is included in Stefan's
list.

Leo
http://www.postgis.us