[postgis-users] Trying to import natural earth data into

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Sat Jan 1 12:52:28 PST 2011

Happy 2011 all:

   We load the natural earth data set into PostGIS on the OSGeo LiveDVD
and in fact, are encouraging all LiveDVD projects to use it as the demo
set.

The scripts only load seven primary tables, not the complete 40+
I have confirmed there are st_isvalid() errors in those tables
The tables are

   10m-admin-0-countries
   10m-urban-area
   10m_lakes
   10m_land
   10m_ocean
   10m_populated_places_simple
   10m_rivers_lake_centerlines

   I just looked into doing the round-trip in GRASS with v.clean
Its rather tedious/manual.. and, not sure where that data result would
go.

I estimate about a long day to do a complete GRASS v.clean treatment
for at least the primary seven tables we use.. perhaps all 40+, though
if
there are a lot of errors, that implies more QC involved.

   best regards from California
    -Brian

==
Brian Hamlin