[postgis-users] Querying geometries with different srid

Farrukh Najmi farrukh at wellfleetsoftware.com
Thu Jan 6 17:05:37 PST 2011

Doing some RTFM I see on the posgis page here:
http://workshops.opengeo.org/postgis-intro/projection.html

"

Note

Be careful of getting too happy with using *ST_Transform* for on-the-fly
conversion. Spatial indexes are built using SRID of the stored
geometries. If comparison are done in a different SRID, spatial indexes
are (often) not used. It is best practice to choose *one SRID* for all
the tables in your database. Only use the transformation function when
you are reading or writing data to external applications.

"

So unless I here otherwise I think above suggests that what I called
option #1 below is the best practice to follow.

--
Regards,
Farrukh Najmi

Web: http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com