[postgis-users] MULTIPOINT WKT - parentheses or no parentheses?

Mike Leahy mgleahy at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Jan 8 11:47:36 PST 2011

Hello list,

Hello all - does anyone know about whether the multipoint WKT format should
have points separated with parentheses (e.g., "MULTIPOINT((1 2),(3 4))"), or
should it not (e.g., "MULTIPOINT(1 2,3 4)")? PostGIS returns the latter (no
parentheses), but if you look at the OGC doc linked from here here:
http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/sfa, the example for MULTIPOINT on
page 61 has parentheses - same thing on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-known_text - I'm not sure what the correct
OGC reference for WKB is though.

I'm asking because the WKT parser in OpenLayers currently expects parentheses
when its parser reads a multipoint, which is easy enough to work around. But
should PostGIS be including parentheses if it is the accepted format (or is
there a way to do this already?), or should we expect that any application
that parses WKT must be able to pars both formats (e.g., like PostGIS does)?

Regards,
Mike