[postgis-users] Creating density map

Ben Madin lists at remoteinformation.com.au
Sun Jan 9 20:10:15 PST 2011

Aren,

You might have more luck on the R-sig-geo list. This looks like a mix of network analysis and point processes -

check out pgRouting, or look for routing algorithms
check out the sp package and then spatstat, network etc.

An approach (by no means the right or even a good one) is to think of it as a graph or MCMC problem, and consider the relationship between the events as probabilities that can be affected by distance. You are of course trying to create a complex spatio-temporal model like everyone, so there is a fair bit of literature out there. It probably pays to look at relevant articles in your field.

Once you have this clearer, I think you should be able to work out how to get the data into R - but it could either be as a data frame using spatial SQL to return attributes, or using readOGR if you need spatial objects in R

cheers

Ben