[postgis-users] How to remotely edit a postgis db?

Robert Buckley robertdbuckley at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 22:59:29 PST 2011

Hi,

i have installed postgis on postgresql and everything seems to working fine.
At the moment I uploading tables through shp2psql and this is working too.

I would now like to edit the data from remote pcs. I have experience using
various open source gis software e.g Jump, QGIS, svSIG, Udig etc but I cannot
edit and commit changed through these gis systems.

My system is Ubuntu 8.04.
postgresql is version 8.3 / postgresql-8.3-postgis

I installed postgis as sudo...therefore the installation folder is owned by root

cd .. /usr/share/postgresql
drwxr-xr-x  6 root root 4096 2011-01-25 15:22 8.3

I have created a user called geoserver for gis work

sudo -u postgres -i
createuser geoserver
createdb -E UTF8 -O geoserver gis

and then created the language...

createlang plpgsql gis

I was following these instructions by the way.
http://weait.com/content/build-your-own-openstreetmap-server-v1

So...as far as I can see, I have a working installation of postgresql with
postgis isntalled. I can log in to postgresql with pgadmin3 and see my gis db
which is spatially enabled with the postgis functions. Fantastic!

I uploaded a shp and even loaded it into geoserver which displayed it perfectly.

so...Now I want to edit the data.......

Question:
1. does user geoserver have editing permission? How can I find out?
2. is postgres a user account on ubuntu or just the login name for the
db?...When I look in my /home folder on ubuntu there is no folder there called
postgres so I guess no!?!?
3. Why can´t I just log in through any of the software mentioned above and edit?

I would be grateful for any pointers...

thanks,

Robert Buckley