[postgis-users] How to remotely edit a postgis db over a webclient?

Nicolas Ribot nicolas.ribot at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 02:37:52 PST 2011

On 26 January 2011 11:19, Robert Buckley <robertdbuckley at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to offer partners from my organization the ability to edit my
> data.
>
> 1 possibilty is that I could just instruct them to download the desktop
> applications so that this would be possible, but then they would need
> training etc to be able to use it. Some do not even have the permissions to
> install in there organization.
>
> I was actually looking for an opensource web client that could offer editing
> of postgis through a browser. I have been developing with Openlayer/Geoext
> but find that for editing purposes it is very complicated and time
> consuming. I was wondering if there were any out of the box solutions
> available.
>
> GeoMajas looks interesting. I have never worked with maven though. I was
> hoping for something lighter.

Hi,
Well, we do have a "lighter" solution ;)

On client side, it is based on a Java applet able to display Mapserver
data AND vector data to edit.
On server side, it is base on a Java Application (war) using Geotools.
A configuration file (lively editable) declares the geoserver layers
to edit (so a postgis layer, for instance) and (very) simple object
representation (line, filling, symbols).

Vector objects can be edited, with snapping options. Some client tools
allow to perform more complex editing operation:
polygon fusion, intersection, difference, hole completion, hole creation, etc.

To deploy the solution:
1°) On the server: a servlet container (jetty, tomcat...) where the war is put
2°) Configuration to declare the layer(s) to edit
3°) On the client side: a webpage declaring the edition applet and
biding it to the server

If you're interested, please let me know.
Nicolas