[postgis-users] PostGIS Raster Performance

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Jan 29 14:30:37 PST 2011

Sunny,

Good question.  I suspect it will be worse at least at the moment (just as
PostGIS was worse when it first came out than reading from shapefile).  How
much worse I'm not sure.  If you try and see speed issues, we can tackle
them, but it hasn't really been our main focus.

 I suspect no one has tested it extensively as far as dishing out large
datasets.  The primary focus of PostGIS Raster is for analysis and then
secondary is the rendering.  That is not to say it will work badly or we
don't care about rendering speed, just that the GDAL drivers etc. needed by
Mapserver probably still have a few wrinkles which would make it suboptimal
for that kind of work.  The more people use it and find issues, the faster
issues will be addressed since we would have data points to go by.

As far as GeoServer goes, I recall reading a thread where Chris Holmes said
he would work on a PostGIS Raster support for GeoServer, but not sure where
that is down the pipe, but to my knowledge, GeoServer does not YET support
PostGIS raster.

Hope that helps,
Regina

  _____