[postgis-users] Shapefiles exported from PostGIS and ESRI ArcView 9 compatibility

Maria Arias de Reyna marias at emergya.es
Thu Jul 21 00:54:26 PDT 2011

El Jueves 21 Julio 2011, Ben Madin escribió:
> We have a client (potential client) who wants some mapping done and the
> maps returned in shapefile format. In the contract they insist on
> specifying that the shapefiles are compatible with "ESRI's ArcView version
> 9" (their words, not mine).

If ArcView has no public specification of their Shapefiles, you can always tell
your potential client all the problems derivated from using a privative and
dark format. In fact, you *should* at least mention it.

It will save you a lot of troubles in the future. If you explain it right,
clients usually understand it and _sometimes_ they agree to move to open
formats.

Anyway, you should ask your client for a couple of examples of their shapefiles
and compare them with yours. Maybe the difference is small and you can post-
process your generated shapefiles to adjust them.

--
María Arias de Reyna Domínguez
Área de Operaciones

Emergya Consultoría
Tfno: +34 954 51 75 77 / +34 607 43 74 27
Fax: +34 954 51 64 73
www.emergya.es