[postgis-users] Create circles using a formula

vikashvikky vikashtalanki at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 12:55:08 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am doing a project for a telecom company. I have to render circles on the
map(assuming the center of the circle as tower and circle as the area
covered by that signal), I am using base layers as Google Maps,Yahoo
maps(Spherical Mercator) So I have used CreateGeodesicPolygon() successfully
to create circles by reading the values from DB.

Now Since I have to render lot of circles, it made me switch to geoserver.
Since the data is being provided by telecom company , they provide
Lat,Lon,Gt,Gr,Pt,Pr,lambda(I think their meaning is irrelevant here) values.
These values are stored in the database as they are. Now should use a
equation(FRIIS transmission equation) and substitute each row(of a tower)
values to find the distance covered by the tower.Then I have to create
circles with that distance(considered as radius) and lon/lat and render them
on map using geoserver.

Please suggest me any ideas of how to carry on this task.... I wud be
thankful to your guidance