[postgis-users] Create circles using a formula

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Wed Jun 1 22:32:14 PDT 2011

I'm not conversant with geoserver but have used mapserver to do this sort of thing often enough.

I assume your data is in PostGIS, which means your mapserver DATA statement can be an embedded SQL query or a PostGIS view.

You can create a view on your table, along the lines of:

create view v_table
as select *, buffer(setsrid(makepoint(lon, lat),4326),<formula to calculate radius>) as geom
from table;

(assuming you want the output data in EPSG:4326)

or you can set up your process to build the geometry in a physical table doing much the same thing, perhaps as an update or insert trigger?

Use this view, or table as the "table" you provide the WFS service from, & the geometries you are providing will be suitably sized circles.

Note this assumes a constant signal strength unchanged by topography, which is very simplistic.

Tools like GRASS allow you to apply a terrain model to the sites & carry out a line-of-sight analysis to generate more accurate polygons descibing the expected coverage from a tower.

If you are displaying thousands of features, you might find WMS with srever side rendering gives a better response time than WFS. Geoserver can provide both WMS & WFS services, but I think mapserver has some advantages in the WMS arena.

HTH,

  Brent Wood