[postgis-users] How do you use PostGIS Raster?

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Fri Jun 3 05:28:18 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm preparing a presentation and I need some use cases for PostGIS Raster. I would be grateful if people already using the raster side of PostGIS would describe what they already do it. Bborie, Jorge, Regina, others? These uses cases are vital for the project.

On my side we are using PostGIS raster to do raster/vector analysis over large datasets. Basically determining mean values for temperature (raster), elevation (raster) for fauna observations (point buffers). Converting everything to vector and using desktop solutions proved impracticable for datasets covering the extent of Canada.

For those who did not try the raster extension yet, don't be shy to express your planned experiments or your expectations.

Thanks all for your contribution to the project,

Pierre