[postgis-users] How do you use PostGIS Raster?

Jorge Arévalo jorge.arevalo at deimos-space.com
Mon Jun 6 08:37:33 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Pierre Racine
<Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm preparing a presentation and I need some use cases for PostGIS Raster. I would be grateful if people already using the raster side of PostGIS would describe what they already do it. Bborie, Jorge, Regina, others? These uses cases are vital for the project.
>
> On my side we are using PostGIS raster to do raster/vector analysis over large datasets. Basically determining mean values for temperature (raster), elevation (raster) for fauna observations (point buffers). Converting everything to vector and using desktop solutions proved impracticable for datasets covering the extent of Canada.
>
> For those who did not try the raster extension yet, don't be shy to express your planned experiments or your expectations.
>
> Thanks all for your contribution to the project,
>
> Pierre

Hi,

I personally see PostGIS Raster from a developer's point of view (too
close to code problems). But taking some distance, I collaborate in
two use cases right now in my company:

- Geospatial database in the cloud. We have a big raster coverage (~
50GB) in several GeoTIFF files (~ 5-6 GB each one). We want to serve
them through a WMS interface using a cloud architecture with
PostgreSQL/PostGIS/PostGIS Raster storage. We may execute gdal2tiles
against each file and store tiles in PostGIS Raster (just a
possibility). Starting project.

- Vector/raster intersection. We want to cross public cadastral
information with a base layer of raster data (orthophotos, DEMs...) to
provide some value over the cadastral information. Useful for farmers.
Ongoing project.

More ideas welcome :-)

Best regards,
--