[postgis-users] How do you use PostGIS Raster?

Bborie Park bkpark at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jun 6 11:32:55 PDT 2011

On 06/03/2011 05:28 AM, Pierre Racine wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm preparing a presentation and I need some use cases for PostGIS Raster. I would be grateful if people already using the raster side of PostGIS would describe what they already do it. Bborie, Jorge, Regina, others? These uses cases are vital for the project.
>
> On my side we are using PostGIS raster to do raster/vector analysis over large datasets. Basically determining mean values for temperature (raster), elevation (raster) for fauna observations (point buffers). Converting everything to vector and using desktop solutions proved impracticable for datasets covering the extent of Canada.
>
> For those who did not try the raster extension yet, don't be shy to express your planned experiments or your expectations.
>
> Thanks all for your contribution to the project,
>
> Pierre

Howdy all,

I use PostGIS Raster as a developer, implementer and end-user.  At my
work, I have yet to put PostGIS Raster into production as I'm currently
waiting on PostGIS 2.0 to be released.

At CVEC, our goal is to provide California vector control and public
health agencies raw and computed climate, meteorological, vector
abundance and disease risk-assessment rasters.  Some of these datasets
are large (1km scale for every day from 1965 to today) so I wanted a
mechanism that allowed me to easily manage the raster data, be able to
expose the data in SQL for use by modelers and researchers, intersect
the raster data with existing vector data and deliver on-the-fly
generated rasters to end-users in vector control and public health.

In the past, we converted all our raster data into vectors in PostGIS
but that became a storage and general management nightmare in addition
to the performance hit.

Currently, I've only done minimal performance testing using one year's
daily maximum temperature data where I wanted to aggregate the data by
different time units, e.g. by month, half-month, disease week.  In
addition to the storage space savings of using PostGIS raster versus
vectors in PostGIS, a query that once took 30 - 40 seconds now completes
in ~10 seconds.  I do need to do more testing to see if I could enhance
performance by playing with the size of the tiles.

My development contribution the project is because there are things I'd
like to see implemented before PostGIS 2.0 gets branched.  I'd like to
see ST_Accum done so that I can bring the tiles for a single day
together in one raster to be outputted to the end-user as a GDAL raster.

Pierre, is it possible to get a copy of your presentation after you've
delivered it?  It may be nice to use in attracting more participants in
the academic circles.  I'm currently thinking of some MRI, CT or X-Ray
usage.

-bborie

--
Bborie Park