[postgis-users] EPSG 4978 or equivalent?

John Morrison john.nmi.morrison at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 08:56:46 PDT 2011

Hi;

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but my Google skills failed me.

Short version: is either the EPSG 4978 or equivalent (geocentric
cartesian (x,y,z) in meters) coordinate system supported?

Longer version: Want to transform an EPSG 4326 PostGIS database into
this coordinate system used for distributed interactive simulation,
e.g.,

    http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=984&t=170682

I think I actually have 2 problems, and if I can solve one of them,
I'll be good to go:

(1) I have run the PostGIS spatial_ref_sys INSERT from:

    http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/4978/

yielding coordinate system SRID 94978, but ST_Transform fails thusly:

Database error XX000: AddToPROJ4SRSCache: couldn't parse proj4 string: '':
(null)

presumably because the proj4text in that spatial_ref_sys is, in fact,
empty.  As a sanity check, I seem to be able to transform to other
SRIDs in my database.

(2) I have code, external to PostGIS, that can perform the transform,
but PostGIS does not seem to want me to insert geometry with this SRID
back into the database.  It complains the new geometries fail an
enforce_srid constraint...

Oh, am running PostGIS 2.0 from SVN with postgresql vintage
9.0.4-2.fc15.x86_64 on (obviously) Linux x86_64...

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

-jm

--
--- John Morrison