[postgis-users] EPSG 4978 or equivalent?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jun 16 09:12:46 PDT 2011

On 11-06-16 11:56 AM, John Morrison wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Sorry if this is a newbie question, but my Google skills failed me.
>
> Short version: is either the EPSG 4978 or equivalent (geocentric
> cartesian (x,y,z) in meters) coordinate system supported?
> presumably because the proj4text in that spatial_ref_sys is, in fact,
> empty.  As a sanity check, I seem to be able to transform to other
> SRIDs in my database.

John,

I don't think geocentric was supported by the OGR machinery used to
produce the spatial_ref_sys file until recently.  Try this for your
proj4text:

   +proj=geocent +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs

Hopefully 4978 will be in standard distributions in the future.

/me realizes that the spatial_ref_sys file is generated from EPSG IDs
listed in pcs.csv and gcs.csv and so geocentric coordinate systems won't
be included unless the process is refined somewhat.  Hmm...

Best regards,