[postgis-users] EPSG 4978 or equivalent?

John Morrison john.nmi.morrison at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 09:58:07 PDT 2011

On Thursday 16 June 2011, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I don't think geocentric was supported by the OGR machinery used to
> produce the spatial_ref_sys file until recently.  Try this for your
> proj4text:
>
>    +proj=geocent +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs

I put the above text in the obvious place in the PostGIS
spatial_ref_sys SQL file from spatialreference.org, reloaded my
PostGIS db from scratch, and ST_Transform worked like a champ!

Now to see if I can put the results back..

I take it that there are not a lot of folk with my particular
projection problem, but even so, should that SQL file be updated with
the text you were kind enough to provide?  If so, is there an official
process?  Please advise

> Hopefully 4978 will be in standard distributions in the future.

That would be great!

> /me realizes that the spatial_ref_sys file is generated from EPSG IDs
> listed in pcs.csv and gcs.csv and so geocentric coordinate systems won't
> be included unless the process is refined somewhat.  Hmm...

Thanks again for the oh-so-rapid help!

-jm

--
--- John Morrison