[postgis-users] QGIS - PostGIS - ArcGIS Interaction

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu Jun 16 11:28:28 PDT 2011

Yep, someone thinks QGIS can clip better than Arc, so can Postgis AFAIK. That doesn't make either "more powerful than ArcGIS".

I've been using QGIS in a production environment, since v0.2, Postgis since v0.7, & GMT since 2.x (I think). I work in what is largely an ESRI house for GIS purposes, & have never used an ESRI application in some 15 years as a "GIS expert". (I have used Genamap & Mapinfo though). So I'm quite conversant with FOSS GIS tools & what they can & can't do.

I've done "GIS-y" things that Arc couldn't, but I'm fully aware that many day-to-day production GIS operations can still be done in Arc better than any collection of Open Source tools.  OS is catching up, and the disparate tools becoming more integrated & interoperable, largely due to OSGEO & the cooperative development community, so QGIS plus R plus GRASS plus Postgis plus Geonetwork plus ... is getting closer, and in _some_ areas is easily exceeding what ArcGIS can deliver, (as I delight in pointing out to my colleagues :-) but there are still some areas where it is inferior. GMT aside, there is no effective open source cartographic tool, & GMT does not integrate well enough with other tools to become part of a fully interoperable GIS suite (but v5 is getting closer!) SAGA has some nice analytical capabilities, but is not particularly interoperable.

QGIS is a long way from being as powerful as Arc, an Open Source suite/stack including GQIS is close to as powerful generally, & perhaps more powerful in some areas.But is not there yet IMHO. But that day does not look like being far away.

See you all at FOSS4g!

Brent Wood