[postgis-users] QGIS - PostGIS - ArcGIS Interaction

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Jun 17 12:44:12 PDT 2011

Hi Paolo,

A quick reply, I don't think this is the place for a long discussion :-)

Have a look at the cartographic capabilities of GMT. Framed, annotated borders; legend composer; A0 poster size, etc; rotated extents, 3D perspective views; global projected maps; etc. I can send you plenty of publication & poster maps which QGIS can't generate (or even come close) if you want some examples.

GMT can do things Arc can't, & vice versa, but QGIS has nothing close to this functionality (yet). With GMT 5 it may be possible to embed GMT as a QGIS cartographic tool, which would be great. GMT is becoming more interoperable with other FOSS GIS applications.

& from a QGIS perspective, I appreciate that embedding third party functionality is a fantatstic way of adding capabilities to QGIS, but the end result is NOT just QGIS, it is a FOSS GIS suite which includes QGIS. Perhaps the QGIS stack?

For example QGIS itself has little or no data management capability, but QGIS with PostGIS or even SpatialLite does. I'm uncomfortable with all this functionality being ascribed to QGIS without recognising the other tools & their developers, who are contributing & enabling this to happen.

Cheers,

   Brent Wood