[postgis-users] How to Store Metadata?

Peter N. Schweitzer pschweitzer at usgs.gov
Fri Jun 24 07:48:05 PDT 2011

On 06/24/2011 09:02 AM, Brett Antonides wrote:
> Could someone please tell me or send me a link describing how to best store ISO 19115/19139 metadata with my spatial data in PostGIS?  Ultimately, the data will be stored in PostGIS, published via GeoServer, and cataloged in GeoNetwork.  I know I can just load the metadata into GeoNetwork, but I'd rather store it in the database so it doesn't get lost if data is migrated to another server.  I'm hoping someone has already cracked this nut.  I tried searching for the answer, but Google failed me (or I failed Google).  Either way I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

PostgreSQL has an XML type; you could store the metadata in an
inventory table, like Stephen Woodbridge suggests, but with the
column containing the metadata as type "XML".  Then if you wish
you can query that information using the xpath() function.  I
have not used that specific function in my work; instead I simply
retrieve the XML type and transform it using an XSLT within PHP.
But I'm sure there are lots of different ways to handle this.

Peter
--
Peter N. Schweitzer (MS 954, U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, VA 20192)
(703) 648-6533  FAX: (703) 648-6252  email: pschweitzer at usgs.gov
<http://geology.usgs.gov/peter/>