[postgis-users] Tiger Geocoder 2010 setup issues

Daniel Weitzenfeld dweitzenfeld at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 03:51:06 PDT 2011

Hi,
I'm trying to setup the TIGER Geocoder, following the readme here:
http://svn.osgeo.org/postgis/trunk/extras/tiger_geocoder/tiger_2010/README
I'm setting it up on a centos 5.5 server.
My questions are below, organized by the step in the README.

------| Step 3.  Edit the tiger_loader.sql to the paths of your
executables server etc.
Is the UNZIPTOOL variable supposed to be changed, or left at its default?
UNZIPTOOL=unzip

------| Step 4.  Edit the create_geocode.bat or create_geocode.sh and run

When I ran the file, I got a boatload of NOTICEs like the following,
interspersed throughout the output:

psql:tables/lookup_tables_2010.sql:4: NOTICE:  table
"direction_lookup" does not exist, skipping
psql:tables/lookup_tables_2010.sql:39: NOTICE:  table
"secondary_unit_lookup" does not exist, skipping

Is this something I should be concerned about?  Did I skip something?

Perhaps more alarmingly, the output finished with this:

COMMIT
ERROR:  relation "addr" does not exist

Again, what should I do?

------| 8. Run this command at psql or pgAdmin III query window to
generate the script.
The first line of the generated script doesn't look right:

STATEDIR="/gisdata/www2.census.gov/geo/pvs/tiger2010st/36_New_York"

especially because an early command is

 cd $STATEDIR

Also, when I try to run the generated script anyway, I get a boatload of these:

psql: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "daniel"

...which is strange to me because I user I thought user daniel had
rights on the PGDATABASE.  Indeed, user daniel can create/delete
schemas on it.  Am I misunderstanding something about postgres
permissions?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.
Best,
-Daniel