[postgis-users] UTF8 Error when importing Tiger County shapefile

Christian Guirreri christian at guirreri.com
Tue Jun 28 10:32:38 PDT 2011

I'm trying to import the Tiger 2010 County and equivalent shapefile for the
entire US. Its tl_2010_us_county10 found here:
http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/geo/shapefiles2010/main

I create a new database with Encoding UTF8, template_postgis. If I choose
anything other than UTF8, it will not allow me to use the postgis template.

I then use the Shape to PostGIS Importer wizard, change the SRID to 4269,
but otherwise leave everything on default. It starts to import, but stops
early and here's there error:

Shapefile type: Polygon
Postgis type: MULTIPOLYGON[2]
Importing shapefile (3221 records)...
Unable to convert data value to UTF-8 (iconv reports "Invalid argument").
Current encoding is "UTF-8". Try "LATIN1" (Western European), or one of the
values described at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/multibyte.html.

Shapefile import failed.