[postgis-users] PostGIS query layer in ArcMap - Double values look like integers

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Jun 28 12:48:16 PDT 2011

On 6/28/2011 3:17 PM, Sheara Cohen wrote:
> Does anyone know why the values in a double field would appear like
> integers when a PostGIS file is viewed as a query layer in ArcMap?
>
> In other words, I've added a PostGIS table as a query layer to ArcMap,
> and when I open the attribute table, several fields only have integer
> values (no decimal places) even though you can check the properties of
> those fields and verify that they are indeed double. When the same table
> is viewed in PGAdmin the values display with all their appropriate
> decimal places.
>
> What gives?

I'm only quessing as I don't use ArcMap, but I'm thinking that ArcMap
does not understand data type "double precision" and probably maps it to
"numeric" but without any decimal points.

You could try creating a view or redefining the columns as numeric(14,7)
or whatever is appropriate and see if that works better.

-Steve