[postgis-users] ST_OffsetCurve

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Jun 29 01:22:31 PDT 2011

 Hi Strk,

 I would be interested in having this feature in GEOS and Postgis. If it
 is available in GEOS, we can also use it in QGIS. I would also be
 interested in helping to finance it.

 I would also be interested in having "open buffers" - which means two
 parallel lines, but no line ends. I would assume that "open buffers" and
 ST_OffsetCurve would be quite similar to implement?

 The single sided buffers are already available in GEOS and Postgis,
 right?

 Any estimates how much work (hours/money) it would be to improve the
 patch and also do the tests and documentation?

 Thanks,
 Andreas

 On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 09:21:08 +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 07:05:04PM -0300, Felipe Provenzale wrote:
>
>> I need to add a .patch file in Postgis, ST_OffsetCurve developed by
>> Rafal
>> Magda. I'm using Windows XP, Postgre 9.0 and Postgis 1.5, and I
>> couldn't
>> find a way to add this .patch file. I need to create parallel lines
>> in a
>> MULTILINESTRING table, with more of 600 lines, and I think that this
>> function will be helpfull.
>>
>> Somebody could tell me how can I include this function on Postgis?
>
> Hi Felipe,
> the ST_OffsetCurve patch needs some more work before getting
> included in the core. One thing is a change in the interface
> so that sign of distance expresses which side of the curve
> you want, another is rewriting to use the new GEOS API, as
> the old one was deprecated. Finally, regress testing should
> be added.
>
> For more informations, refer to:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/413
>
> I'll be glad to work on such cleanup and integration but It'll
> take a few hours and although a few people expressed interest
> in this feature noone came up with fundings.
>
> Maybe this could be an opportunity to try some crowdfunding, for
> example
> trough http://pledgebank.com or similar.
>

> --strk;
>
>   ()   Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer
>   /\   http://strk.keybit.net/services.html

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A
 8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)