[postgis-users] newbie prob: PostgreSQL server will not connect so PostGIS installation fails with dbcreate

Sean seanasy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 05:55:30 PST 2011

Did you install PostgreSQL?

It sounds like you need to learn the basics of Relations Database
Management Systems (RDMS) before you dive into PostgreSQL/PostGIS.

The server is the database system.  It manages connections to the
databases.  If the server isn't running, there's nothing to which you
can connect. You can't create or connect to a database until the
server is running (though one may have been created during
installation).

PGAdmin does not create servers, it connects to them.

You might want to start over and use the OpenGeo Suite to install
everything http://opengeo.org/technology/suite/download/

Or, if you're never going to use the database in a multi-user
environment, take a look at SpatialLite (http://www.gaia-gis.it/
spatialite/) and see if it will do what you need.  It's not as robust
as PostGIS but it does a lot.

  Sean