[postgis-users] make install as root on v1.5.2

Bill Teluk bill.teluk at team.telstra.com
Wed Mar 9 18:58:09 PST 2011

Hi,
I have installed PostGIS 1.5.2 on a PostgreSQL 9.0.4 (OpenSCG RPM) on an
RHEL5.5 system - the instructions in the included README.postgis indicate
that I should perform "make install" as "postgres" user.  This didn't work
and generated the error below:

   /bin/mkdir -p '/opt/postgres/9.0/share/postgresql/contrib/postgis-1.5'
   /bin/mkdir: cannot create directory

   `/opt/postgres/9.0/share/postgresql/contrib/postgis-1.5': Permission
denied
   make[1]: *** [installdirs] Error 1
   make[1]: Leaving directory

   `/home/maptools/other/pgis_1_5_2/postgis-1.5.2/postgis'
   make: *** [postgis-install] Error 2

I overcame this by performing "make install" as "root" user - I did this
because I noted that the online HTML documentation for v1.5 doesn't indicate
which user to install as - at least as far as I could see (ref
http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-1.5/ch02.html#id2630263
)

Is this a documentation error, or should I really be installing as user
"postgres"?

Thanks.

Regards, Bill Teluk.