[postgis-users] TIN from point coverage

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Mar 24 16:23:49 PDT 2011

We have a use case for this in pgRouting.

Basically we compute the driving distance of a network and get a
collection of points that can be represented as x,y,z where z is the
cost to get to that point.

You can visualize this data like a cereal bowl where the start node is
in the center of the bowl with a cost of zero and then as you move
outwards the cost increases as you move up the edges of the bowl.

So we take these points and we need them triangulated.
Then we we intersect the triangles with parallel planes increasing in z
to get isochronal contour edge pieces, that we could then feed to
st_BuildArea to create polygons for each isochrone.

But all this starts with Delaunay triangulation.

-Steve