[postgis-users] TIN from point coverage

Olivier Courtin olivier.courtin at oslandia.com
Thu Mar 24 15:17:21 PDT 2011

On Mar 24, 2011, at 10:52 PM, Pierre Racine wrote:

Pierre,

> My goal is to define the way leading from a point coverage to a
> raster. Something like ST_Interpolate("pointgeomtable",
> "rastercolumn") -> raster. What would be the step leading to that?
>
> I guess we have everything now to store a Delaunay Triangulation as
> polyhedral surfaces right?

Hum yes and no, in fact it depends :)

As i said the TIN model is designed for a feature model storage (CIM
use case),
so in a single cell, a reasonable small TIN (i.e thousands of points
is fine
or even more, but not a whole LIDAR Coverage triangulation)

If we want to handle this use case, i think
we have to add a way to split and aggregate a big TIN into several
small ones
(as i recall it should be the way Oracle Spatial handle it)

> Then from this polyhedral surface we can derive a raster...
>
> Maybe a first ST_AsDelaunayTriangulation(geom) could be an aggregate
> SET function returning a set of triangle...

Yes, if you produce a set of Triangles rather than a single huge TIN,
it could works with the current TIN implementation.

Question: is it something liblas could already handle ?

--
Olivier