[postgis-users] How to create a point geometry from two text fields?

Gis Mage gismage at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 07:44:13 PDT 2011

Hello!

I have a table with two text fields "lat" and "long" of character varying
type.
I've created a field the_geom with type geometry.

How do I calculate the_geom field with an sql query?
The table is huge - about 1.5 million records, so I think the fastest way to
do this is to use pointfromtext function, but I can't figure out how to put
in the values of "lat" and "long" fields inside function arguments.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.