[postgis-users] "Linux" geocoder script ?

fork forkandwait at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 16:31:23 PDT 2011

fork <forkandwait <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Paragon Corporation <lr <at> pcorp.us> writes:
>
> > One of these days hopefully soon, I'll dust off my OpenSUSE VM  and build
> > PostGIS 2.0 and test Tiger geocoder on it.

fork <forkandwait <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > One of these days hopefully soon, I'll dust off my OpenSUSE VM  and build
> > PostGIS 2.0 and test Tiger geocoder on it.

If anyone is interested, I have been working on an alternative script to import
Tiger, based on the output from the function that generates a script.  Its a
"gist" on github.

I have only tested it piecemeal, and it is currently bombing at "## create
address data, one per county" near the bottom (I think because the tiger parent
addr table doesn't match the table generated by shp2pgsql.

I will probably also add code to set up an optional basic geocoder install at
the top.

No warranty, blah, blah, blah.

The idea is that you just change a few parameters at the top and then run it for
your state.  It would be *far* easier to write code to SQL to generate a bunch
of "X=Y\n" lines than what it does now.

I also prettified it and wrapped in BEGIN/END blocks whenever I thought possible.

Voila:  https://gist.github.com/885803

And if anyone has ideas or patches, please send them (it would be really cool to
figure out a "pull request" on github,...)