[postgis-users] How to tell postgis configure to see different makefile, etc.

John Zastrow jcz at northredoubt.com
Wed May 11 08:28:06 PDT 2011

I'm upgrading a ubuntu box from postgres/postgis installed through
apt-get, to those completely from stable sources.

So, I uninstalled packages, compiled postgres (9.0.3 + postgis 1.5.2),
ran it, compiled geos and proj - all with defaults. Now I'm compiling
postgis and I get this

configure: error: the PGXS Makefile
/usr/lib/postgresql/8.4/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk cannot be found

I'm not sure where it's getting this from... I've found a newer makefile at
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk

which configure options do I pass to redirect configure to the correct
makefile? Is there anything else I need to convince postgis configure of
if I'm seeing this?

Thanks.
John