[postgis-users] shortest distance around an obstacle

Eoin Mac Aoidh eoinyp at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 00:55:53 PDT 2011

Hi list,

I am having trouble getting started with this problem:

I have a table of points and a table of polygons. I would like to calculate the
shortest distance between (each) pair(s) of points, avoiding the polygons (obstacles) in
the polygon table (as they represent holes in the plane).

From what I have seen, using pgRouting is the best way to approach this,
however, any documentation I have read refers to a "network" which is used to
calculate this distance. Do I need to generate a network of all my points and
polygons to do this?

Could anyone suggest some basic steps to follow please?

Many thanks,

Eoin