[postgis-users] how to keep geometry_columns in sync with tables and views

Edward Mac Gillavry emacgillavry at hotmail.com
Wed May 18 04:57:30 PDT 2011

Hi Ge,

You may want to check Probe_Geometry_Columns (http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/Probe_Geometry_Columns.html).

Kind regards,

Edward

Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 04:38:51 -0700
From: gves2000 at yahoo.com
To: postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net
Subject: [postgis-users] how to keep geometry_columns in sync with tables	and views

Hi All,

We have a lot of tables and views updated, or better said, replaced on a daily basis. We have seen that under certain conditions (which are unclear) entries of the geometry_columns table are removed. So a mismatch occurs so now and then resulting in showing either no data or being very slow when an application has to do a table scan to obtain the geometry type.

What I like to have is a procedure which checks all tables and views against the geometry_columns table and makes if necessary the right corrections.

Before inventing the wheel again, does anyone know if this procedure already exist or knows perhaps another/better way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance,

Ge