[postgis-users] Convert between SRID units and meters

Dan Putler dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Fri May 20 14:46:00 PDT 2011

Hi Peter,

Here is a link to OSGeo workshop that should be a helpful premier on the
issue in general and provides a solution to your problem through the use
of PostGIS's geography type:
http://workshops.opengeo.org/postgis-intro/geography.html

If you are dealing with a fairly well define area, say the West Coast of
the US and Canada, then you might consider reprojecting your data out of
NAD83 (North American Datum of 1983) geographic (lon/lat) coordinates
(EPSG: 4269) into Euclidean coordinates (such as NAD83 UTM 10N), and
then you can use the standard st_area tool and the result will be in meters.

Dan