[postgis-users] Seeking Funding for Faster PostGIS Indexes

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Fri May 27 10:45:28 PDT 2011

One of the eye-opening talks of PgCon last week was the presentation
from Oleg Bartunov and Teodor Sigaev on their work on spatial
partitioning indexes in PostgreSQL. Oleg and Teodor are the
maintainers of the GiST framework we use for our r-tree, and are
proposing a new framework to allow quad-tree and kd-tree
implementations in PostgreSQL.

http://www.pgcon.org/2011/schedule/events/309.en.html

The upshot is, this new approach is as much as 6-times faster than the
r-tree (at least for points). If you're interested in seeing PostGIS
indexes get vastly faster, consider funding this project. Get in touch
with me directly for details.

http://blog.opengeo.org/2011/05/27/pgcon-notes-3/

P.