[postgis-users] Fw: re: Geocoder (from extras)

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat May 28 14:24:31 PDT 2011

Mikal,

Can you send me the change you made and the indexes you added.  When adding
some more data, I realized I had hardcoded an index for our local state (MA)
and I know without that index that that particular query does run pretty
slow.  So just wondering if its along the same lines.

I've also fixed I think all the issues with running the loader on Unix/Linux
-- well at least I was able to get it to run on my CentOS.  Thanks to all
who contributed input to that.  I took bits and pieces from many people's
comments but couldn't apply a full diff from anyones since I had already
changed the code too much to safely apply any of those patches.

How many states do you have loaded BTW?  I just have CA loaded on my CentOS
-- which is an 8GB/8 core cloud server.  I'm getting around 38ms - 450ms per
test, but I have yet to load the other states.
It also seems to cache very well so that if I geocode an address on the same
street (not necessarily same address), the first call might take 450ms and
the second 38ms.  I suspect this might be because I also marked a good chunk
of the functions STABLE or IMMUTABLE.

Thanks,
Regina
http://www.postgis.us