[postgis-users] Enter details into Geom column

James Smith james.david.smith at gmail.com
Mon May 30 11:35:27 PDT 2011

Dear Brent,

Thank you for your reply and simple explanation, it's much appreciated.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. When I try to create the Geom
column, I get this error:

-----
ERROR: function st_creategeometrycolumn(unknown, unknown, unknown, integer,
unknown, integer) does not exist
SQL state: 42883
Hint: No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need
to add explicit type casts.
Character: 8
-----

So I browsed the PostGIS functions, and thought that I should perhaps use
the function 'AddGeometryColumn' instead, so changed the code to below:

----
select AddGeometryColumn('public',
'CLEANEDCAMDENGPS','geom',4326,'POINT',2);
----

However this returns an error of the below:

----
ERROR: relation "public.CLEANEDCAMDENGPS" does not exist
----

I should perhaps say at this point, that the table called CLEANEDCAMDENGPS
is within a database called CAMDENGPS. I played around with trying to put
the database name into the statement too, but with no luck.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again, and yes, I'll take onboard your point about captials and table
names from this point forwards.

Cheers

James