[postgis-users] Problems with backing up and restoring Tiger Geocoder database

René Fournier m5 at renefournier.com
Wed Nov 9 11:10:11 PST 2011

Since building the Tiger Geocoder database from the source data is so time-consuming, I'm trying to capture the result (the ~90GB spatially aware database) so that I can simply restore, in case I need to rebuild the server. Should be simple, but every time I pg_dump and attempt to pg_restore, I get

	pg_restore: [archiver] input file does not appear to be a valid archive

So, just wondering what I'm doing wrong? Or, put another way, what are the steps to dump the given database and restore it to another server running Postgresql90 and PostGIS 1.5.3? Thanks!

…Rene