[postgis-users] Problems with backing up and restoring Tiger Geocoder database

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Wed Nov 9 14:06:48 PST 2011

Rene,

My guess is you probably did an SQL backup instead of a compressed or tar
backup.

I've had this issue before when backing up with pgAdmin and the reason is
because it defaults to sql backup I think.  I forget what the switch is
you can check our backup /restore cheatsheet for reference.

http://www.postgresonline.com/downloads/special_feature/postgresql90_pg_dump
restore_cheatsheet.pdf

(you want -F c -b

pg_restore can only be used to restore tar or compressed backups.

We restore the tiger data all the time to various servers so no issue there.

Leo and Regina
http://www.postgis.us

Rene