[postgis-users] Help me.

Birgit Laggner birgit.laggner at vti.bund.de
Wed Nov 23 04:36:32 PST 2011

Hallo Atul,

perhaps, I would split the query in two queries, because otherwise I
think it might be difficult to use a spatial index on the second
intersection. The queries could be like this:

--create a spatial index on each input table:
create index temp_outputtree_2_gist_geometry on temp_outputtree_2 using
gist(geometry);
create index temp_outputtree2_4_gist_geometry on temp_outputtree2_4
using gist(geometry);
create index temp_outputtree_5_gist_geometry on temp_outputtree_5 using
gist(geometry);

--intersection of the first 2 tables using the spatial index, writing
the result of it into a new table:
select st_intersection(t1.geometry,t2.geometry) as geometry into
new_table from TEMP_OUTPUTTREE_2 t1 inner join TEMP_OUTPUTTREE2_4 t2 on
t1.geometry && t2.geometry where st_intersects(t1.geometry,t2.geometry);

--create a spatial index on the new geometries of the first intersection:
create index new_table_gist_geometry on new_table using gist(geometry);

--intersection with the third table:
select st_intersection(nt.geometry,t3.geometry) as geometry from
new_table nt inner join TEMP_OUTPUTTREE_5 t3 on nt.geometry &&
t3.geometry where st_intersects(nt.geometry,t3.geometry);

Hope that helps,

Birgit.